Friday, July 25, 2008

Freedom Scientific Filing Lawsuit Against GWMicro

Recently I have just learned about the lawsuit that Freedom Scientific, the makers of JAWS for Windows has filed on GWMicro, the creaters of Window eyes. This lawsuit is outrageous for the simple reason that GWMicro has put in a place marker feature which Freedom Scientific has supposedly Patented.

Even though I've been using JAWS for a number of years, I have decided to no longer buy JAWS or any of their products because I do not like FS using my money to file meaningless lawsuits. The money that they earn should be used to make their screen reader better. After JFW V8.0 was released, things started going down hill for FS. Their so called major updates seemed like minor ones because of the lakc of innovations in the new features. Their hype about clipboard functionality is just dum because even though it is useful, it is nothing to be estatic about.

I am looking forward to the upcoming release of Window Eyes 7.0 because of it's scripting. Once I have the money to perchase it, I will be more than glad to buy a copy because the screen reader that GWMicro has put out is very stable and packed with innovative features.

The
GWMicro blog
will have some information on this lawsuit.
Also
Blind Access Journal
has a post on this issue.

No comments: